Charlie this morning - hopped up on caffeine
We have had the most terrible 24+ hours of Charlie's life. He literally has not slept for more than 30 minutes at a time. This morning I thought I might die of tiredness. As you can imagine, nursing, growing the new baby and tending to Charlie is quite the task on a couple hours of sleep. And to top it off Brett was on call and had been gone for the entire thing. So, it hit me this evening that I've been drinking mochas nonstop the last couple of days where I usually drink tea. It must be a pregnancy craving because I don't even like Starbucks coffee. I also realized that this explains why Charlie is always a pill and never sleeps when we are in Anacortes. I love Caffe Vita at Strawberry Bay and have a ton of it on my visits. Now I know Charlie doesn't like espresso shots which I realize seems like common sense but it took me eight months to figure out. The funny part is this - in an effort to explain why this nightmare was happening to my perfect sleeper I came up with all kinds of possible reasons. I couldn't stand the thought of this being a long term issue with no easy to fix solution. Now you must know this also - he never cried or acted upset, even with the lack of sleep. He was happy and overly energetic. I found him bouncing all over his crib and laughing all night long! So, these are the three ridiculous explanations I came up with and suggested to my friends and family today as I tried to formulate thoughts in my exhausted state.
1) He had an ear infection - which isn't that ridiculous because he has a cold. The ridiculous part is that I drug him to the Dr. this am and tried to convince him that I knew it was an ear infection even though his ears looked fine. I was sure my motherly instinct would prevail and I could talk the Dr. into a medical explanation- not so.
2) Charlie crawls and pulls himself up constantly now so I thought perhaps he was so active now that he couldn't sleep because he was too excited to try and escape his crib. This was where I got worried and was sure I was doomed to no sleep forever. He did manage to untie all of the bumpers last night when I had given up and just let him play in there.
3) Now this is where I officially lost it: Grandma Mary had accidentally (or intentionally) spiked Charlie's applesauce with sugar and as I had been feeding it to him all week the sugar had built up in his system and he was high on sugar. I even frantically called her at work to discuss the possibility.
So, now that it is almost nine o'clock I can barely keep my eyes open and must go to sleep. Lets hope the caffeine is the correct explanation and we will all get to sleep tonight as I have quit mochas. And don't worry, I called Grandma Mary and apologized for incorrectly accusing her of spiking the applesauce.



2 comments:
I feel for ya. Getting no sleep is rough. The picture of Charlie made me giggle though, he just looks so full of energy!
I hear you on the no sleeping part! It is VERY tough to take care of a baby that doesn't sleep. We just got back into our routine after THREE weeks of no sleep! I just about went into a sleep-deprived coma:) Hope you're doing well and I'll try to get ahold of you soon.
Post a Comment