We finally did it. We took away Charlie's binky on Saturday. In all honesty, it has been terrible. We tried to make it fun. We read him a book called "Bye Bye Pacifier" for a week in anticipation of it. We took him to Toys R Us to buy anything he wanted to "trade" for his binkies. He picked out this guitar which he thinks is awesome.
Then we packed up his binkies in an envelope.
And mailed them to babies who need them.
Then he pretended to go to sleep without a binky. He even tucked all his babies in bed without their binkies.
But he never went to sleep. He hasn't napped in four days. He is grumpy and mean and mopes around like this on the couch.
And most of the time, he looks like this. I am at my wit's end really.
And this little bug just smiles through the whole thing. Even though her brother repeatedly hit her in the head with a toy hammer this morning. She will be losing her binky long before she is 2.5 years old because this is hell.
Please remind me of that before I let her keep her binky this long. Lesson to you parents out there - take the binky away before your kid gets out of the crib! He spends all 2 hours of naptime destroying his room and negotiating on how to get out. Here are some of the tactics he has tried:
-Pile all the books up and stand on them so he can flip the light off and on.
-Try to bribe us - "Hey Dad! I got some money in here. I think it is six dollars!"
-Scream at the top of his lungs and destroy his room by emptying every drawer and piling everything in front of the drawer.
-Move the toy chest across the room and using it to get up on the dresser where he found five old binkies and then tried to hide them from us. This was the only time he was quiet.
-The desperate plea for help "Help! It smells like fish in here!"
This may sound funny to you from afar but let me tell you, it isn't.


7 comments:
We are bink-weening right now. We have worked our way down from 3 (one in the mouth, one in each hand) all day long to one at nap/bedtime. But I am dreading the final pull. She is still in the crib, so I have hope :) I hope Charlie moves on soon!
Guilty! Ben still has his but only at nap and bedtime. We never let him have it during the day except in the car but that is gone too. I figure we will take it away at some point but if no one sees it in public then I don't care:)
Ohh I'm sorry Emilie ... that sounds rough. Praying it gets better soon!
I am sorry but I did have to laugh at all his very cleaver ploys. Hang in there. You will make it!
Oh man, you have me VERY scared. We now only *try* to use the binki at night and when it's needed in the car, but Cal HAS to have it to sleep.
Oh Emilie!! I feel for ya'! It seems tough now and never-ending but I promise it will pass! Just make sure you get your alone time for a breather:)
I am so sorry, certain ones do sound funny, like the money bribe, but I'm sure if you're dealing w/ it day in and day out then it's exactly like you said, hell. I hope that in time it gets better!
Post a Comment